Historic Bowens Mills


Volunteer Hall of Fame
Weddings for a Lifetime The Old Mill Tour Company Bowens Mills Studios
Click on a Clip to Visit Bowens Mills Old Movie House:
 Yearly Calendar  Tour the Village History Location
The First Pressing of the Season
Support Appreciation Weekend
 This is the weekend of the first pressing and the kicking off of our fund raising season.  The fundraising season is the life's blood of the old mill and the people are the heartbeat. From the visitors, to the volunteers and all who are involved. We would like to show our appreciation to you, the very first weekend of every cider time season. 
Historic Bowens Mills is a privately owned historical park.  We receive no state funding, and thus far have never received a grant for any of the many restorations and projects that have been accomplished in the years since Neal & Marion Cook first saw the vision for the historical park 23 years ago.  
Since that time buildings have been moved in, others were restored and some were added.  Our goal as second generation owners of the mill is the same as our parents before us, to continue not only the preserve the history of the area here in Yankee Springs, but to portray an image in the minds and eyes of all those who visit here.  To give each one who visits a glimpse of the past, with the sights, sounds and smells of the history that lies behind us, so that our generation can see and feel what those before us experienced, once upon a time.  
We would like Bowens Mills to harbor a place, beside the still waters of the old mill pond, away from the hustle and bustle of the busy world around us today.  A place to take a step back in time, to that of the days of the 1800's and specific times there after.
The backdrop that sets the stage is the the old grist mill built in 1864 during the time of the Civil War and when Abraham Lincoln was President, it is now working museum that is still grinding corn meal by water power and pressing apples on the huge antique cider press, it has a huge 17 foot water wheel completed in 1999, that will soon be powering the recreation of the Muley Sawmill that originally stood next to the mill before the dam went out in 1902.  The waterwheel can be viewed from the quaint scale replica of the covered bridge that crossed the Thornapple River in Middleville years ago.  It was built in 19__ out of wood from the old Middleville Mill that was torn down at that time.  And we cannot forget the beautiful huge walnut trees that cast shade on the restful green grass, down by the old mill stream.
There is a pioneer village that includes an old Victorian Farm House built by the Bowens in the 1860's, the oldest one room school house in Barry County, an old plank style farm house & post & beam barn with all types of farm animals, an artisan woodworking shop called "Ye Old Craft Shop" and a variety of other buildings.
We work hard to set the backdrop for the stage with every physical detail we can.  But we feel that the volunteer costumed craftsman, re-enactors & tour guides that participate in the festivals play a large part in the memories that are carried home by the visitors that come here. 
The driving force that keeps us going are the people.  We depend heavily on their encouragement and help, from the visitors that support us with their gate fees, all the hours of help from our volunteer family, to the clubs and organizations that co-sponsor our festivals, and the donators of time, supplies and financial gifts.  Over the years because of the countless giving and loyal people who are not afraid to get involved that the performance continues and is carried out successfully each year.
Owen & Carleen are just two of the village players here at Historic Bowens Mills we need people like just like you, without you, it would be impossible for us to carry out the task that has been set before us.  
ALL FESTIVALS INCLUDE: Live Old-Time Music, Petting Zoo with Farm Animals, Horse Drawn Wagon Rides, Cider Pressing, Corn Grinding Demonstrations and other activities.
The Old Mill is located in the heart of beautiful Yankee Springs Township, just 2 miles north of Yankee Springs (Gun Lake) State Park. Watch for the huge Grindstone Marker on Briggs Road. For more information visit our website at www.bowensmills.com or call: 616-795-7530.
Live old-time music down by the old mill stream , petting zoo with farm animals, horse drawn wagon rides with Belgan Draft Horses, cider pressing demonstrations on gigantic 100 year old, antique water powered, cider press and stone ground corn grinding demonstrations on  huge original water turbine powered grind stones along with many other history related activities.
Historic Bowens Mills is an 1864 Grist Mill and Cider Mill, it is a working Museum that still grinds sells fresh corn meal by water power.  It is a second generation family owned and operated state historic site with no state funding. The restorations and upkeep depend upon It's Cider Time Festival gate fees, special events and donations. The "It’s Cider Time Festival" gate fee for adults is $5.00, Children 5 to 15 years old is $2.00. Thank you for your support in helping us preserve history for future generations.
The 19 acre Pioneer Park consists of :
           • 1864 Grist & Cider Mill
The antiquated four-story building’s main floor houses a working Water Powered Cider and Grist Mill and a Museum plus a Gift and Antique Shop. There is a Blacksmith Shop, a Water Powered Machine Shop in its lower Level. The third floor has been transformed into a quaint and cozy living quarters. The top floor is home to Bowens Mills Studios and has a lot of old machinery, gears, and Pulleys are still in that area.
• 1840’s two story Plank House, the oldest house in Bowens Mills
• 1850’s One Room School House, moved to the mill, the oldest one room school house in Barry County
• 1860’s 11 room Victorian House built by the Bowens
• A Post & Beam Barn, home of Belgian Draft Horses
• A Quaint Covered Bridge crosses the Old Mill Stream
• 17 foot Water Wheel, completed in 1999
• Ye Ole Craft Shoppe" an artisans woodworking shop and coopers shop.



The Past Lives Again at Historic Bowens Mills 

Sketches by Neal H. Cook

Researched & Written by Neal & Marion Cook

Re-edited in 1999 by Carleen Sabin

In 1836 Montermer B. Martin, a land speculator, came to Barry County and Purchased land from the government, President Martin Van Buren signing the contracts. This land was located in the north west part of Yankee Springs Township, parts of Sec. 8 and 17. The lake which is now known as Payne Lake was included in this tract.

Of course, one of the first things needed in those early days of Barry County was a sawmill. Soon a Mr. Payne and his son-in-law built a dam and a sawmill where two creeks joined just north of the lake. It was powered by a water wheel with a 4 foot fall and they were soon sawing 1,000 foot of lumber a day. The creeks became known as Payne and Hoag Creaks (Hoag Creek’s Name has since been changed to Cobb Creek.)

About 1838, Nathan Barlow, a lawyer, purchased some land which included the sawmill. Seeing the added potential of more water power a quarter or a mile or so up the creek, Mr. Barlow relocated the mill to its present location. History tells us he used many of the original timbers. Ox teams were used to transport them. Upon building the wooden dam across the creek, the water was backed up 14-feet, making the Mill Pond and in turn flooded the two ponds upstream, making the lake which was named Barlow Lake.

The Barlows also built the house on the east side of the old Mill Pond. It was there in that house that court was held and legal matters taken care of. The house is now owned and is being restored by the O’Dells.

Around 1854 the sawmill changed hands again, when Timothy and Franklin Miles bought it. More and more People were coming to the area and lumber was in great demand for their homes. Miles wanted to increase his production so he ordered some new equipment from New York State. His new "Muley Saw Mill" was delivered by ox team. He could now saw 7,000 feet of lumber a day. O. C. Bates owned the saw mill for about 1 1/2 years before selling to the Bowens. History dose not reveal any details of his ownership.

The Edwin H. Bowen’s moved to Yankee Springs from Ohio in 1864 and acquired the sawmill. Bowen and his son William soon added a grist mill with three levels to the operation. The mill was 24’ X 48’ and housed 2 sets of French Burr Stones. The Mill and surrounding area soon became known as "Bowens Mills". Before it was always known as Gun Lake, Michigan. E H. Bowen was made Postmaster and the mail was kept in a large basket in the family home, where the farmers from the surrounding country would call as often as twice a week for their letters. The mail was carried by stagecoach from Kalamazoo to Grand Rapids, someone meeting the coach at Wayland to carry the mail to Gun Lake. Later a wooden letter holder was made and put in the Mill’s Office. It is still there.

In the early 1870’s, rumors were flying around about the railroad coming through Bowens Mills, going from grand Rapids to Battle Creek. When it did, it would mean all the more people would be settling along its path. In that case, the Mill wouldn’t be large enough to handle all the needs. Mr. Bowen wanted to be ready for it, so the roof of the mill was taken off and a fourth level was added. When the railway did come, it followed the Thornapple River and never did come to Bowens Mills.

About this same time William Bowen was courting Adeline Richards. They were married on December 31, 1874, and built the house across the road from his parents (the old Saw Millers house). This house has been owned by various people over the years, but was obtained in 1984 by Neal and Marion Cook, and then purchased and restored by their daughter and son-in-law, Owen and Carleen Sabin that now own and run the Mill and property.

In 1902 Mr. Bowen purchased a huge ‘Albright’ Cider press from Burdette Briggs. A room 18 X 24 was added on the side of the mill to house it.

Bowens Mills had become famous for it buckwheat flour and old-timers tell of how in the fall, the horses and wagons were backed all through town with their loads of apples - waiting their turn at the cider press.

About the turn of the century disaster struck the mill several times. The sawmill had previously been converted from water power to the newest source of power of the time "steam". Two of the mill workers had fired up the old stationary engine and were waiting to get full head of steam. The safety valve stuck. Soon there was a big explosion and they both were killed. Not long after that the old wood dam went out, taking with it the penstock and causing massive destruction. The sawmill was washed away along with a portion of the wall of the lower level of the grist mill. It is hard to imagine the extent of the damage, even as one views the old photos taken shortly after it happened.

The Bowens sold out to a Mr. Lanson Kieney in 1912 and Mark and Mary Richie bought the property about a year later, owning it until 1922 when Elam and Minnie (Norris) Springer purchased it.

During most of the 37 years that the Springers owned the mill it was a hub of activity. Grinding flour and grist, making cider and vinegar and also being used as a pickle weigh station. The Springers even had a little store and gas pump.

In the winter of 1943 disaster struck again. Muskrats had been digging around the dam which weakened the wall and suddenly, one cold winter night, it gave way. The penstock was destroyed and almost all of the stone wall of the lower level was washed downstream. The mill was left teetering on the two short foundation walls which were still intact. Most of the contents of the basement were never found. What a heartache this must have been for Mr. Springer, who was 71 years of age at the time. Once again, old photos reveal what an awesome job the repairs would entail. However, Mr. Springer went right to work on it, and by fall had the old mill all patched up again.

Business was slow, all the surrounding communities had built up mills and kept them updated with the latest and fastest equipment. With the modern means of transportation, many farmers preferred to go where they could to their milling and their shopping as well in one trip. In 1953 the mill ceased to operate as a business after approximately 113 years of continual service to the people of Barry County.

Around 1955 the mill was sold to Neal and Helen Engle. Their primary use of it was to use its property to raise pickles on its acreage, doing so for about four seasons. When it became harvest time, the Engles hired migrant workers to help and the old mill became home to as many as 30 Mexicans for several weeks each year. They brought their own cots, stove, tables and chairs and used the pond for bathing. They loved the old mill and were happy there. The sound of their guitars and singing could be heard far into the night.

The Engles also made cider a couple of times soon after they bought the Mill. They belted up the old press to a tractor. Over the years the power source had been converted from water, to steam, to an old ‘one -lunger’ gasoline engine.

Four families bought the mill from the Engles in 1971. They were Gorden & Willonore Fuhr, Dick & Martha Shaw, Bill & Beverly Slade and David & Carolin Dimmers. They replaced the windows and doors vandals had destroyed and did a basic clean up job.

In 1972 the state erected a marker renaming Bowens Mills a "Michigan Historical Site". It was opened for tours several times over the 7 years of their ownership.

In the fall of 1978 Neal and Marion Cook bought the mill and began the restoration project. As the saying goes, "the worse use is no use". The mill had set more or less idle for over 30 years, the water power and grindstones had not been used for nearly 40 years, some of the foundations were crumbling, various timbers were decaying and time had taken its toll. Today thanks Marion and Neal Cook with the help of family and friends and many years of work, all four levels of the mill have been restored. The old mill is now a living museum dedicated to the early pioneers of Barry County and their ingenuity. The main floor is open to the public by appointment May through August. "It’s Cider Time Festivals" begin the second weekend in September and run through the end of October. At this time the mill and its grounds come alive as the past lives again. Old time demonstrations, Civil War camps, live old time music, costumed craftsmen, and blacksmiths are just a sampling of the exciting things that are happening through the fall fund raising season.

In the lower level there is the power section along with a blacksmith shop and water powered machine shop. This area is open on festival days. The main floor is open to the public and is a museum with artifacts from the 1800’s and houses the grist and cider mills. Folks are amazed to see the water rush through the massive turbine as the grindstones slowly turn, and golden kernels of corn are transformed into fresh cornmeal, which is still for sale. Every weekend in the fall the huge old cider press is put into action and bushels and bushels of apples become gallons and gallons of cider in just moments.

The former grain storage and workshop on the third level have been transformed from a rustic sprawling area, to a cozy home by Neal and Marion Cook in 1978, where now the second generation millers Owen Sabin and Carleen Sabin live. Many of the old beams have been left exposed, which adds a handsome richness throughout the living quarters. Marion hand stenciled the walls, a wood stove and the grain elevator shafts add to the quaintness.

The Fourth level is a recreation of the old workshop along with a cobblers shop. Many of the huge gears and much of the ancient machinery still remain intact and can be seen when this floor is open for tours.

In the old days, a trip to the mill was a big event. It gave the folks a chance to meet friends they hadn’t seen for a long time and to catch up on all the latest news, as they waited for their turn to come up. People now come from miles around, to see and feel the way things were done by their ancestors in the days gone by. 

Remove not the ancient landmark, which thy fathers have set.  Proverbs 22:28

Water Powered Stone Ground Cornmeal Demonstration French Burr Stones Old Historic Bowens Mills 
Antique engineering Bowen's first top best most visited historic site Michigan history land mark 
tourist attraction Weddings Cider Grist Steam Engine Civil War Village Park Mountain Men Encampment Blacksmith 
Trappers Christmas Horses must see fun family Place Apple Mill 1864 Fall Festivals State Site 
Photography Studio tours
Water Powered, Stone Ground, Cornmeal, Demonstration, French Burr Stones, old, Historic Bowens Mills, 
Antique, engineering, Bowen's, first, top, best, most, visited, historic site, Michigan, history, land mark, 
tourist attraction, Weddings, Cider Mill, Grist Mill, Water Wheel, Log Cabin, Covered Bridge, One room school house, 
Wood working Shop, Blacksmith Shop, Pioneer farm, farm animals, Steam  Engine Show, Civil War, Village, Park, 
Mountain Men, Encampment, Blacksmith, Trappers, Christmas, Horses, must see, fun, family, Place, Festivals, 
cider Pressing, Pioneer, Farm, State, Site, Location, Wedding Reception, ceremony, horse drawn rides, 
Fall Festivals, 
Events, Bowens Mills Studio, Tours, Photography



The 19 acre Historical Park now consists of :

 1864 Grist & Cider Mill The antiquated four-story building’s main floor houses a working Water Powered Cider Mill
1840’s two story Plank House, the oldest house in Bowens Mills
   1850’s One Room School House, moved to the mill, the oldest one room school house in Barry County
1860’s 11 room Victorian House built by the Bowens
A Post & Beam Barn, home of Belgian Draft Horses and many other farm animals.
A Quaint Covered Bridge crosses the Old Mill Stream
17 foot Water Wheel completed in 1999
“Ye Ole Craft Shoppe” an artisans woodworking and coopers shop
“The Bowens Mills Gathering Place” a huge Arts & Entertainment Center for             displays, social events, meetings, conferences, & performances plus a Gift and Antique Shop 
  “Fork River Trappers Trading Post” A Log Cabin that was completed in 2002
●  "Granny's Kitchen" Restaurant prepares Hot Apple Dumplings with Ice Cream, warm Donuts, Chili, Hot Dogs, Baked Beans, Potato Salad and drinks.  Cider by the glass or by the gallon are also obtainable.
  "The Saw Millers Cabin" down by the Old Mill Stream
●  "Line Camp Cabin" located near the "Trappers Trading Post

The Yearly Calendar Consist of:

Celebration of Spring : The third Saturday in April Live Baby Animals, Horse Drawn Rides and Spring Photos Open - noon to 5 (no admission fee to Gathering Place) Admission to the Park $5.00 adults and $3.00 children 12 and under.
Festivals & Special Events:
Saturdays & Sundays Noon to 5 pm
It's Cider Time Festivals:
3 Great Festival Weekends of Old Fashioned Family Fun that include: First Cider Pressing, Steam & Gasoline Engine Show, Mountain Men Encampment, & Civil War Days.
End of Sept. thru Mid Oct. - Gate Fee $5 adults $3 Children 12 and under
It's Christmas at the Mill: (no admission fee o the Gathering Place)
Opens after Thanksgiving Sat. & Sun. till Christmas with Fresh Cut Trees, Photos with Santa and Horse Drawn Hay Rides. (Free Family Rides with purchase of Christmas Tree) We are into making family memories here at Historic Bowens Mills and we hope that you will join us.

School and Group Tours with horse drawn rides are also available. (Group Leaders, Teachers, and Clubs may call for special tour arrangements.)  Historic Bowens Mills also offers private parties, family gatherings and small group tours, the opportunity to create your own “Choose your Adventure” package. Your package can include choices of wonderful memories like horse drawn rides or snacks by the fire, along with some of your own ideas to make your party or event "personalized" and of your own special choosing. Wedding packages, Company Picnics, Family Gatherings are also available.  Meetings and private parties are offered on the grounds or in any one of the historical buildings.
Historic Bowens Mills is an 1864 Grist Mill and Cider Mill.  It is a working museum that still grinds and sells fresh corn meal through the use of water-powered mill stones.  It is a second generation family-owned and operated state historic site with no state or county funding. The restorations and upkeep depend upon It's Cider Time Festival gate fees, special events and donations. The "It’s Cider Time Festival" gate fee for adults is $5.00, Children 12 and under $3.00. Thank you for your support in helping us preserve history for future generations.
The Old & Majestic Mill is located Midway between Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo. Near Yankee Springs (Gun Lake) State Park in the heart of beautiful Yankee Springs Township, Michigan where people come often. Because - from the first explosion of colorful wildflowers in the spring to the refreshing coolness of summer to the fall extravaganza in red and gold to the stark beauty of snow-covered trees in the winter - each season provides visitors with a completely different pallet of awesome natural beauty.
We hope you’ll take the time to enjoy all that there is to see and to do Bowens Mills. Some find the quiet of the historical park a welcome respite from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Others draw energy and inspiration from the outdoor experience. But all who come here are enriched in some way by the magnificent beauty of nature and history when they visit. 
Park entrance located at 55 Briggs Rd. Middleville MI  www.BowensMills.com